Below is a link for a 4 part exercise that I have come up with. It splits the C Major Scale into 4 sections. The purpose is to break down the finger changes and crossovers so that they are understandable.
Here are a few rehearsal guidelines:
- Go SLOW and use the metronome when you are comfortable with each exercise. I usually ask my students to get each exercise up to 120 BPM.
- Fingering is absolutely essential. If you are not consistent with the fingering it will hurt you when you start to play the actual scales.
- Split up the hands for awhile if need be. If you have done the exercises properly, you should be able to play a two octave scale one hand at a time.
- You are most likely going to have to slow the whole scale way down unless you have really good coordination. Don't sweat it! Everyone learns differently. The key is to be persistant and don't quit until it is perfect!
- If you find this exercise and try it out, please let me know if it helped you! Thanks
Exercise 1 Video Demo
Exercise 2 Video Demo
Exercise 3 Video Demo
Exercise 4 Demo